Thursday, May 19, 2016

Your Birth Story

Odin,

You may not want to read this [so don't], but I wanted there to be a record. So often people can't remember the details, and apparently, I won't either. It's true what they say though, once you are here, all the pain and challenges disappear. It's true. I would take all the pain all over again, knowing you were the reward. For the record, I felt this way prior to labor as well.

The story goes, you were technically due on May 7th, but prior to going to the doctor, the internet told us May 8th. We kept our story consistent and told everyone May 8th, also because that was Mother's Day and I could charmingly say that that was your day. Funny thing, that was exactly when you came. I told everyone that you would go over because you were such a peanut (small belly in comparison), but secretly I am so glad you didn't torture me and go over. I was dying to meet you (see all prior entries)!

On May 7th, I started having what felt like period cramps in my back. I didn't think much of it, because I didn't want to get excited and plenty of people get such pains throughout their pregnancies. Low and behold at 1:45am on May 8th, I was awoken with legit cramps. I rolled over to your dad and said, "do you want to know that I am having cramps." and the sleepy love jolted up saying, "Yes, I am your support person." This is how he has been throughout the experience - feeding me well, taking care of me, ensuring both of our health. The cramps were consistent, getting us excited, until I got out of bed... they were then random all afternoon. At about 2pm (after 12 hrs of pre-labor), it all changed like that. Every 5 minutes I was having contractions. I became non-communicative, as your dad read in the book, which gave him much guidance and comfort in knowledge. At 3:15pm we arrived at OMC's Women's Health Pavilion. I was dilated to 8cm. They measured your vitals and both of us were doing well. I labored in the tub for 45 minutes. I didn't want essential oils or music as I anticipated, bossing your dad around to shut everything off. He was so thoughtful to want to help, rub my back, etc. I was incapable of thinking about anything else but the pain, and breathing. I began my labor contractions in the tub, having about three there. I felt my water break and heard a pop. It scared me. They got me out of the tub, your dad and a nurse walking me to the bed. They raised the bed, rushed to get setup, the midwife (Pat Hinck?!) held a rag and sat underneath me. As I stood, I pushed four times, each more painful. I screamed like a beast. Your dad had no idea I could even make those noises. I guess that's where my power comes from. I could only just feel the top of your head. I didn't think I could do anymore, so by push four, you rocketed out in one shot. You were sunny side-up, hence the back labor. Your dad yelled, "It's a BOY!" They placed you between my legs. We nuzzled face to face, waited for your chord to stop pumping, then your dad cut it.

The rest is a blur of cleanups, and stitches and bliss. You were here. That is the only part of the story that mattered. I now had you in my arms, the only place I every wanted you. I will ever want you. If you are anywhere else, it will be too far. I love you, Odin.

No comments:

Post a Comment